First Post: Just for ducks here, at first.
Lessons
After blogging the Bush and early Obama years fairly prolifically, I’ve had what amounts to a 15-year vacation from history. What have I learned in that time? A little bit of humility, to be sure. I was wrong about a lot of things — some inconsequential, some very consequential — too many to number extensively here, to be sure. But as I said, I learned something from being wrong. But I was right about a few things too, and I learned from that too. And as I watch the Trump II administration begin its work in earnest, some of those lessons seem awfully relevant right now. 1. Never make a sword so sharp that you wouldn’t want your enemy to wield it . Classical liberals have been shouting this for a long time. Any government project or agency is by definition political the moment it comes to life, and when you give it the power to do what you want, you license the other side to do with that power what they want. Democrats have ignored this rule for a long time. In fact, both parties have b...
Comments